12-year-old CA girl dies from infection doctors misdiagnosed as flu
A young girl died from an infection which was misdiagnosed as the flu, her grieving family said.
Alyssa Alcaraz, 12, of Tulare, Calif., passed away last month from a strep blood infection, and her family was shocked to discover she didn’t actually have the flu, they told local station KFSN.
“I remember she came home from school and she was throwing up and I thought oh she’s probably got food poisoning and she’s going to be ok,” her sister Mariah recalled.
Alyssa’s mom, who did not want to give her name, said doctors told her that the pre-teen had the flu.
After a few days of staying home from school, Alyssa’s mom noticed her daughter wasn’t getting better and took her to urgent care on Dec. 17.
When a physician realized the pre-teen’s oxygen levels were low, she was rushed to the Kaweah Delta Medical Center in Visalia.
Within hours, her organs started to shut down and her family says she coded six times before passing away.
Her death certificate says she went into cardiac arrest and septic shock from a strep blood infection, the outlet reported.
The family said she was never diagnosed with any infection.
“Alyssa was a brave and strong young woman her entire life, even until her last breath of air. Overall she was an amazing person and will be greatly missed by all of us,” the girl’s family wrote in her obituary.
The Green Acres Middle School student enjoyed science and had a passion for singing, her family said. She loved cooking, baking and spending time with her family, including her two sisters and bother.
A fundraiser to support the family had reached $5,633 as of Wednesday.